What Is A Video Game Designers Income?
Video game design is one of the most appealing aspects of the industry for hopefuls all over the world. At least part of the reason for this is because of the average video game designer’s income. It can be a lucrative field for those who meet the necessary requirements.
And just what is the current data surrounding a game designer salary? What does one have to do in order to get to that point?
Hard Work And Creativity
A successful game designer needs to bring a number of things to the table:
- A passion for ideas, the gaming industry itself, and the desire to see those ideas succeed in that industry.
- Training in computer graphics, animation, and software design.
- Accreditation from a technical school. This isn’t a guarantee, but it does help to have that piece of paper on your wall.
Consumer demand continues to grow. The demand for software publishers is rising as well. These things have worked to creative a competitive, but large field. One in which those who have the discipline and creative spirit can do very well for themselves indeed.
A Look At Game Designer Salaries
Take a look at a recent report from IDGA. The numbers revealed in this report offer some fascinating statistics on the salaries of video game designers in 2012.
The report, along with other sources, all serve to give an interesting indication of what the future of game design will likely hold:
- The average game designer salary for an entry level is between 50, 000 and 80, 000 dollars annually. 80, 000 is a bit on the rare side, but there are noted examples to be found. The average salary for most designers just starting out clocks in at around 57, 500 dollars.
- The highest reported salary for a game designer is 200, 000 dollars.
- The state of the economy seems to have little impact on game designer salaries. This is perhaps because video games tend to remain popular, even when other industries are suffering from a weak or uncertain economy.
- The release of a new gaming console can often lead to a number of new jobs. This is because companies are eager to have as many games as possible ready for the day the console is released.
- An entirely new way to play games (consider the rise of smartphones and tablets) can also lead to an influx of potential game design jobs.
Game Designers In 2013
One of the most important things to remember is that a game designer is different from a video game tester. One of the biggest reasons for this is money. Another reason involves game testers working as more of a support staff. They will help the process of a game going from conception to completion, but it’s up to the designer to decide how much they want to work with them.